The Central Avenue SID (CASID), the City of Jersey City, and County of Hudson held the first annual Everything Jersey City Festival from 11 AM to 6 PM on Saturday, May 17, 2008. The festival welcomed over 12,000 people from all over the area to Central Avenue, where they enjoyed the following attractions:
- FREE CONCERT – three stages of music and entertainment
- rides and activities for the kids
- demonstrations by local dance troupes, martial arts schools and public safety officials
- hundreds of exhibitors, including local businesses, artists, crafters, non-profit/civic organizations and vendors from around New Jersey
The first Everything Jersey City Festival offered an opportunity for the entire Jersey City community to come together in pride & harmony to enjoy a fun day with family, friends and neighbors.
The festival was organized by the Central Avenue SID Management Corp., in partnership with Mayor Jerramiah T. Healy and the City of Jersey City Municipal Council, Hudson County Executive Thomas A. DeGise and Board of Chosen Freeholders, paid for in part by the State of New Jersey Urban Enterprise Zone Program, and hosted by Heights Councilman Steve Lipski (Ward C) and Councilman Bill Gaughan (Ward D).
From local favorites to nationally-known acts, there was something for everyone on the two main festival stages!
- The Legendary Teenagers – World-famous doo-wop group performing their hit “Why Do Fools Fall in Love”
- Ray Rodriguez y Swing Sabroso – Salsa Dura para bailar!
- Amy Speace – Catchy Americana with indelible hooks, sharply observed lyrics and a gritty urban edge
- Runaway Orange – Radio-friendly pop-rock for everyone!
- Surati – Traditional and contemporary Indian dance and music led by founder-director Rimli Roy
- The Eamonn Ryan Band – Not your father’s Irish band!
- BuzzUniverse – An eclectic blend of rock, jazz, latin & world grooves
- D. Plumbers – Rollicking Western Tex-Jazz-a-Billy!
At the Lincoln Street Stage, sponsored by Nino’s Shoes, DJ Commandante and guests Willie Moreno, NJ4, El Intocable and RNS got people dancing in the street with karaoke and more!
The following community activities took place throughout the day:
Jersey City Reservior Tours – 1:00, 3:00, 5:00
Meet at Central Ave. and Zabriskie St. (north side)
Offered by the Jersey City Reservior Preservation Alliance
Heights Historical Landmarks Tour – 1:00
Meet in front of Capital One Bank (Central Ave. and Bowers St.)
Offered by the Jersey City Landmarks Conservancy
Professional Cake Decorating Demonstration – 2:00
Goehrig’s Bakery Booth (near Thorne St.)
Student Showcase at the Hope Center for Visual and Performing Arts – All Day
110-116 Cambridge Ave. (through municipal parking lot next to 356 Central Ave.)
The CASID Thanks Our 2008 Festival Sponsors:
Please visit our supporting sponsors with the links below:
Businesses and organizations who become sponsors of the Everything Jersey City Festival will enjoy a wide range of promotional benefits in conjunction with the festival marketing campaign. If you or your business or organization is interested in becoming a sponsor, please contact Brittany Hopkins, CASID Director, at (201) 656-1366 or email@example.com.
Festival Media Coverage & Press Releases
- 5/19/08 – Jersey Journal: STREETS COME ALIVE: A fest for a diverse community
- 5/17/08 – Jersey Journal: Everything Jersey City Festival!
- 5/15/08 – CASID Press Release: Legend Awards to be Presented at Everything Jersey City Festival
- 5/15/08 – Jersey Journal: See festival drawing 10,000 to Central Ave.
- 5/7/08 – CASID Press Release: Local Performers, Businesses, and Community Groups Make Their Mark on the Everything Jersey City Festival
- 3/20/08 – Jersey Journal: Heights fest set May 17