About the Tour:
Beyond the Plate Food Tours, in collaboration with the Central Avenue Special Improvement District (CASID), has curated a weekly walking food tour through six culturally diverse eateries along Central Avenue. The first tour launched on Small Business Saturday, November 27th, and since then weekly Saturday tours are available to the public. Tours run from 12:30 PM to 2:30 PM, guided by a local Jersey City foodie. Group size is limited to 10 guests. Tickets to a tour are $75 a person and must be purchased in advance from the website. Guests can expect generous food tastings from six eateries, representing cuisine from five continents. While the stops may change from time to time, the initial list of restaurants include:
- Andrea Salumeria (Rated best italian deli in NJ)
- Irmas (Mexican/Salvadorian)
- Ozu Foods (Japanese)
- El Gordo (Peruvian)
- Griot Cafe (Haitian/West African)
- The LoDG (Rated the best donuts in Hudson County)
- Start times: 12:00PM
- Availability: Runs every Saturday 12:00-2:30PM
- Location: Along Central Ave in Jersey City Heights. Exact meeting location and parking information will be emailed before tour start
- Weather Conditions: Rain or shine
- Distance: Approx. 3/4 miles, ≤ 8 minutes walking between each stop
- Our Guides: Tours led by fun & friendly local experts
- Number of Stops: 6 tasting locations, including dessert
- Occupancy: Limited to 10 guests
- Beverages: Non-alcoholic beverages included. If you’re looking for alcoholic drink pairings, check out our Downtown Jersey City tour!
Beyond the Plate Tours, is currently looking to expand the Heights tour to Sunday, if you are interested in participating please contact the CASID Director, Alexa Lima.
Think of Beyond the Plate Food Tours as an expertly guided restaurant crawl. With a purchase of a ticket, a local expert guide will lead you through multiple restaurants where you’ll get to eat and drink deliciously curated bites and sips, meet some of the faces behind the plates, and gain a new perspective on the city itself. Maybe you’ll make some new friends along the way too! Specializing in corporate and private events.